3 cups (360g) wholemeal or plain flour
Pinch of black pepper
Large pinch of dried thyme
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons (85g) real butter, at room temperature
1 to 1 1/8 cups (227g to 255g) cold milk or buttermilk (use whole milk for the most tender scones). To make buttermilk add one tablespoon of vinegar to the milk and let sit for five minutes.
A handful of strong cheddar (grated)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients and work in the butter with your hands, add the cheese. Then stir in the buttermilk. The mix should be pliable (if not add more flour and/or milk).
3. Place the dough on a floured surface, knead gently and flatten out with the palms of your hands and cut out with a rounded cookie cutter.
4. Place on greased baking tray (use butter) and brush tops with some milk.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until you can smell them in your kitchen and the tops are nicely browned.
6. Cut in half and spread liberally with seaweed butter. (Mix real butter with a generous helping of The Seaweed Food Co. Herby Seaweed Seasoning). Enjoy!
Best served warm with a cup of strong coffee.
Share this post
- Tags: Recipe